Thursday, April 15, 2010

APRIL RUFFED GROUSE




Last year, I posted a story of "April Thunder", which chronicled a series on the drumming of the Ruffed Grouse. The drumming of the ruffed one is his amorous display during the breeding season... hopefully to attract and entice the female of the species, waiting in the wings.



Mary and dad Brett, were giving grandson Will a ride in his "Radio Flier" wagon on the 7th of April. I was home getting ready to head out into the forest, to check on any migratory newbies flying in to Cedar Ridge. They called to inform me they heard a Ruffed Grouse drumming not far from our driveway. I hustled down there and found him drumming in a thicket of spruce. Unfortunately, he was covered with spruce boughs which made it impossible to photograph him. Since this was the first drummer heard this season, I immediately started my spring search.

I headed up the ridge into my old grouse drumming country of past years. The forest is terribly dry, a lack of moisture from a basically snowless winter. The leaves and sticks crunched under my boots, creating noise akin to a small herd of buffalo. I imagined I was scaring every bird and animal in a mile radius. To my surprise, I heard a muffled thumping of wings. I guessed by the sound, the Ruffed Grouse was drumming approximately 100-150 yards away. When you first hear the drumming, the grouse sounds like it is a half mile away. In reality, they are much closer than you think. Creeping through the brush ever so slowly, I made my way to his log location. It took me at least thirty minutes to travel the hundred yard plus distance, as I stop many times to listen for the next "drum beat." There he was in his splendor, poised on his log. I stopped and waited for the next drumming routine to start... when he began, I would move as quickly as possible to get closer. Doing this a few times, I finally got close enough for a few shots that were hampered by the thick brush. Much to my dismay, he hopped off his log and disappeared into the brush.

To make a long story shorter, this event has happened to me through the years. Patience and persistence is the watchword in the forest, so I quickly departed the scene to return later. This log departure happened three days in a row. Finally on the fourth day, Mr. Grouse accepted me into his environment. I sneaked in and took a few shots with my 400 lens through the brush. I quickly realized that this was not going to work. I retooled... and clicked on my 70-200 short lens. I waited for his next drumming routine and when he started, I crawled through the brush to get closer to him.



The brush was still evident around the edges of the photos, so I sat and waited for the next drumming flourish. Finally I got as close as 6-8 feet from him. I was dressed from head to toe in summer camouflage, so he eyed me carefully. I took several photos and found that now I was totally accepted in his territory. I could do basically what I wanted to get different image angles. This went on for three days, the following shots are from that time period, I hope you enjoy them.



















"The echos of the drumming Ruffed Grouse, marks the return of the migratory song birds. A season of renewal in the Boreal Forest" D. Brislance

1 comment:

  1. Just fantastic! Most people never get to see this. How cool!

    ReplyDelete